Tuesday, March 17, 2009

maniputlation without intent

Ok..so for this project I faced a few obstacles, to say the least, and did not receive the outcome i had intended for. With the design I created, I had a difficult time transferring the image I saw on the computer screen onto the direct screen used in the studio. I ran into complications with emulsion, transparencies and exposure. What should have been a three step process became a BIG headache that led to frustration. However, if there is one thing I learned about this project and manipulation, its that manipulation of an image can happen unintentionally.
 I look back on the process when making the actual design, and as I was working through it, I never considered how this image would act as a screen print. Now, that i have gone through the steps i realize, that depending on the process you chose to print, it may not always be what you hoped for. In one way, this can be a beautiful thing. The screen print I have, looks nothing like the original image however it has become something entirely new and possesses this unexpected quality to it, which is actually quite nice. 
This "problem" I had made me think more about the printing process and how one never really think about the end result, before you create the image. I realize now, that depending on the medium you chose each print can be totally different. With that said, I am curious to see how other printing methods would produce this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment